ieltscommunity3

Sunday, June 12

Afaq's Wise Words Echoed by Tony

Dear IELTS hopefuls

I have taken the liberty of posting Afaq's IELTS test details. In his typically modest way he posted this as a comment. I think it deserves greater prominence. He took the General Training IELTS and scored Band 8.5 overall - a phenomenal achievement! Here's his story (+ some minor edits from me):

"Regarding the details, let me try to recollect the finer things that were instrumental in getting these kind of scores. Apart from what I learnt during the classes, the following points were helpful before, during and after the test:

1) Have a very clear mind on the day of the test, i.e. leave the rest of the world out
. IELTS and ONLY IELTS.

2) Positive thinking - see it an easy exam, and that you can easily give what the examiners want. This gave me confidence and relaxation. It may or may not work like this for everyone.

3) Prayers, knowing that God is very kind and luck will be on your side during the test.

4) Listening module: - Read the questions carefully.- Try to guess the probable answers during the time given (before the tape starts)- go with the speaker, i.e. answer as you listen, leave out the confusing questions to come back to and make an intelligent guess. Even if you lose some,
don't PANIC, or the rest will go as bad. My thoughts did get carried away in section 2 but somehow I managed and made 1-2 guess answers. Look for the words stressed by the speaker(s).- avoid careless mistakes in transferring the answers to the answer sheet.- avoid spelling mistakes.- answer to the point, if not more than three words , then the answer should not be more than three words.

5) Reading module: Take a quick glance at the passage, 5-10 seconds to understand the nature of the text - read the instructions carefully - read the questions - find the answers in the passage, this helped me to skim the passage. Leave out difficult answers, come back to them at the end. I managed to have 7 minutes spare at the end of the whole section to review the answers. I did make some corrections in this review time. Transfer the answers to the answer booklet very carefully. Avoid spelling mistakes.

6) Writing module: here I did not do as well as the other sections, I reckon these may be the reasons: I did not manage my time well and ended up spending 30 mins on task 1. Although, I did manage to complete and review both the tasks for spelling or any obvious mistakes... Phew that was an achievement! My first task was approximately 350 words, that's a lot of words, I think I might have got lost in the middle, and somehow tried to bring the letter to an end.
This showed a lack of planning and clarity of thought. The task 2, was also long approximately 400 words, it may have lost marks on planning, ideas and grammar as I think the conclusion was not very solid. I think a good essay should have a very good starting paragraph with a clear mention of the side you are going to take (gosh, I am forgetting the key word here) 3-4 good points with examples in the following 2 paragraphs and a very strong and logical conclusion. Use of linking words is very ESSENTIAL.

7. Speaking module: I was nervous in the mock speaking with Tony, he pointed out my flaws, I corrected them for the actual exam, then we got another opportunity to do a speaking exam with IELTS examiner trainees. It was a very good opportunity. During the actual interview, most of the answers were instantaneous, I did not think much. This I guess, worked for me, as it gave an impression that I know how to speak English, I did try to be careful in making sentences and clevery cooked up stories, to make the examiner interested. I used gestures in trying to explain things and kept on going till the examiner asked me to stop. I kept it long and lively!!

8) CONCLUSION: I hope the above written experience comes in handy while doing the IELTS. It goes without saying that knowledge of English and preparation is essential. Use the available time in preparation and come up with strategies regarding how to cover up / erase / compensate for your flaws.

Best of luck to you all. The above is my opinion only, as an IELTS candidate, I cannot clearly think like an examiner".

Afaq Aly

Band 9.0 Listening
Band 9.0 Reading
Band 7.0 Writing
Band 8.0 Speaking
Band 8.5 Overall

Posted and edited by Tony Beale, IELTS Preparation Tutor, 12 June 2005

1 Comments:

  • What! NO comments from anyone!

    Ich kann es kaum glauben, vielleicht sollte ich Ihnen auf Deutsch schreiben - warum nicht?

    Gute Nacht

    Tony Von Bealegruberstein

    By Blogger Tony Beale, at 10:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home